Ever feel restless after a long stretch at your desk? Does your mood bottom out by the end of the day? It turns out it may not be a problem with your attention span, the ergonomics of your chair or work that fails to engage you. It could be your desk – or that you’re standing at it. Maybe it’s time to start reaping the benefits of a standing desk.
What Is A Standing Desk?
Basically just what it sounds like. It allows you to comfortably stand while working. Some versions allow the height of the desk to alternate sitting to standing during the day.
The benefits are many:
- Reduces Risk of Heart Disease: Inactive or sitting lifestyles have been linked to an extreme number of cardiovascular problems and conditions including high blood pressure, increased plaque and elevated levels of “bad” cholesterol. Increase your standing desk use to decrease your risk of heart disease.
- Improves Mood: Standing desks are shown have a positive influence on overall comfort and mood of an office. Contrary to popular belief, standing actually gives a boost of energy rather than tiring you out. Blood flows more freely and delivers more oxygen to muscles while you stand.
- Lowers Risk of Obesity: Weight gain is caused by taking in more calories than you burn and vise versa for weight loss. Besides the obvious exercising for weight loss, just simply deciding to stand instead of sit can increase calorie burning throughout the day.
- Reduces Blood Sugar: By standing after meals and during work, the body produces glucose without insulin, creating overall better blood sugar levels.
- May Reduce Back Pain: Workers who sit all day may complain of back pain. Even using a standing desk one hour each day cuts down the stress on spines created by prolonged sitting.
Are you standing up at your desk yet? Take these benefits under consideration for your own workspace or when working. desk chair provides sit/stand desks for all members and encourages the use throughout the workday.